March 15, 2019
Grab your flashlight and your cape as we discuss the very first Pajama Sam game, "No Need to Hide When It's Dark Outside". Learn about the creation of Humongous Entertainment, the company behind the game, and then, dive deep into the experience of playing the game during our talkthrough section of the podcast.
- Intro: 00:00:00 - 00:19:24
- Talkthrough: 00:19:25 - 00:43:24
- Final Remarks / Preview for Next Episode: 00:43:25 - 00:55:59
March 1, 2019
Join me as we speak with Natalia Dolzycka and Magda Cielecka from Artifex Mundi, a company primarily known for developing and publishing casual hidden object adventure experiences, but who are now in the process of creating their first traditional point and click adventure game, Irony Curtain. Learn about the origins of the company, some of the challenges they've faced over the years, and then, delve deep into the background of Irony Curtain, releasing later in 2019.
- Intro: 00:00:00 - 00:01:41
- Interview: 00:01:42 - 01:07:03
- Final Remarks / Preview for Next Episode: 01:07:04 - 01:10:42
February 15, 2019
Come on a badass road trip with me as we explore the Tim Schaefer classic, Full Throttle! Learn about the inspiration behind the game and the process for creating the title, and then, dive deep into the game's puzzles, design, and story as we conduct our traditional "talkthrough" of the entire experience.
- Intro / Background / History: 00:00:00 - 00:24:54
- Talkthrough: 00:24:55 - 01:10:13
- Final Remarks / Preview for Next Episode: 01:10:14 - 01:23:04
February 1, 2019
Set sail with me as we explore the world of Douglas Adams' Starship Titanic! Learn about how the game was created, including its origins, which can trace its lineage back to the interactive fiction games of the early 80s. Then, dive deep into the game's puzzles, design, and story as we conduct our traditional "talkthrough" of the entire experience.
- Intro / Background / History: 00:00:00 - 00:22:30
- Talkthrough: 00:22:31 - 01:02:06
- Final Remarks / Preview for Next Episode: 01:02:07 - 01:20:04
January 18, 2019
Grab your fedora and dust off your trenchcoat! Join me in exploring one of the finest Full Motion Video (FMV) games ever created, and certainly one which demonstrates what a true "interactive movie" can be, as we discuss Under a Killing Moon. Learn about what Access Software used to look like in its formative years, how the Tex Murphy character came into existence, and then, as always, dive into the game's story and puzzles during our in-depth talkthrough.
- Intro / Background / History: 00:00:00 - 00:27:31
- Talkthrough: 00:27:32 - 01:44:46
- Final Remarks / Preview for Next Episode: 01:44:47 - 01:55:46
January 4, 2019
Join me on a fairy tale adventure as we discuss one of the first interactive graphical adventure games of all time, King's Quest! We'll talk about some of the history behind Roberta Williams, the game's creator, and Sierra itself (which is the company that created the King's Quest series), as well as the development of the game itself. After talking about the historical background of the game, we progress with our talkthrough of the game and dive deep into the story and puzzles, before ranking the experience and adding the title to our Pantheon of Adventure Games.
- Intro / Background / History: 00:00:00 - 00:32:15
- Talkthrough: 00:32:16 - 00:50:41
- Final Remarks / Preview for Next Episode: 00:50:42 - 01:02:46
December 21, 2018
Happy Holidays! Today's episode is a recap of our current Pantheon of Adventure Games, as discussed over the last six months of podcast episodes. In addition to recapping the games discussed thus far, we also take a look at similar, more modern, titles for each of our Pantheon entries to help build a holiday shopping list for that favorite adventure gamer in your life.
December 7, 2018
It's the start of December, and what better way to kick off a month of holidays than finishing up the LucasArts "Maniac Mansion" series, by playing Day of the Tentacle! Learn how one of the most influential, and best, adventure games of all time was created, and snuggle up and stay warm as we go through an in-depth talkthrough of the entire experience. Finally, see where one of the most beloved adventures of all time stacks up against our current Pantheon of Adventure Games.
- Intro / Background / History: 00:00:00 - 00:36:45
- Talkthrough: 00:36:46 - 01:57:32
- Final Remarks / Preview for Next Episode: 01:57:33 - 02:07:01
November 22, 2018
It's the day after Thanksgiving, and I've got a feast for your ears! This episode expands into new territory for the podcast, as we take a look at some melodic, amazing songs from classic adventure games. As with most episodes, we start out with historical perspective, this time focused on the evolution of computer audio within the adventure game genre, followed by our "talkthrough" which, in this case, consists of ten songs from games we haven't yet covered. Listen in and hear songs from such classics as Grim Fandango, Quest for Glory, Gabriel Knight 3, and more!
- Intro / Background / History: 00:00:00 - 00:43:51
- Talkthrough (Individual Game Tracks): 00:43:52 - 01:36:13
- Final Remarks / Preview for Next Episode: 01:36:14 - 01:48:37
November 9, 2018
Journey back to 1987 as we delve into one of the true classics of the adventure game genre, Maniac Mansion! This is the game for which the SCUMM engine was built, a technology that would single-handedly shape the future of LucasArts adventure games for the next decade. Learn about the development of the game, its cultural significance, and, as always, re-live the experience of playing the game through our talkthrough session, accompanied by music from the Maniac Mansion Deluxe fan remake.
- Intro / Background / History: 00:00:00 - 00:39:52
- Talkthrough: 00:39:53 - 01:21:52
- Final Remarks / Pantheon Ranking / Preview for Next Episode: 01:21:53 - 01:37:15